How to submit a proposal to the University of Notre Dame Press
Please send a cover letter summarizing the project and the contribution it makes to its field, plus the following materials.
- Include a 2-4pp abstract, detailing:
- the argument;
- the audience;
- and comparable books.
- Include an annotated Table of Contents, with 2-3 paragraphs describing each entry therein.
- Include a current CV, and a sample chapter or two if available.
- For contributed volumes, list contributors with their appointments and publications
- Please include an SASE if you need the materials returned to you.
- Mail, fax, or email your proposal to us as indicated below:
The University of Notre Dame Press
310 Flanner Hall
Notre Dame, IN 46556
Phone: (574) 631-4913
Fax: (574) 631-8148
Acquisitions Editors and Staff
Editor in Chief
Political science, religion and violence, peace studies, Latino and Latin American studies, Irish and Irish-American studies, international relations, African studies, African-American studies, American history and studies, American government.
Theology, philosophy, Political theory and philosophy, Catholic studies, religious studies, medieval and early modern studies, Arabic and Islamic studies.
Manuscript and Graphics Submission Guidelines
Please review our guidelines above for preparing manuscripts, electronic files, illustrations, and permissions.
Art Checklist – DON’T’s:
- Do not write on the back of any original photos. Use pressure sensitive labels instead.
- Don’t use ink that might rub off of the label onto the photo itself (as do roller ball pens).
- Do not submit line art in programs such as Corel Draw, Excel, Access, or table generators in word-processing files.
- Do not size photos and line art too small. We can reduce larger images but cannot enlarge tiny ones.
- Do not staple, tape, or clip original photos.
- Do not submit gif, jpeg, or compressed images. TIFFs are preferred.
- Do not enlarge a graphic image once it has been scanned. It must be scanned at the reproduction size.
- Do not download art from the Web for submission as original art. Web art is only 72 dpi, not high-enough resolution for print publication. Most images need to be at least 300 dpi to reproduce in a book.
Author Responsibilities and Copyright Guidelines
AAUP Permissions FAQ (PDF)
This document was developed by the Copyright Committee of the Association of American University Presses (AAUP) for dissemination among AAUP member presses. It is designed to provide practical answers to the kinds of copyright permissions questions authors often raise when preparing their work for submission. Sample permissions letters are appended.
Poetry and Fiction Prizes Published by the University of Notre Dame Press
The Press publishes the winning manuscripts of four creative writing contests.
The Ernest Sandeen Prize in Poetry and the Richard Sullivan Prize in Fiction are awarded to authors who have published at least one volume of short fiction or one volume of poetry, respectively. The Creative Writing Program in the Department of English at University of Notre Dame, administers these two prizes. Please see their guidelines for submitting manuscripts and the submission dates at their site:
The Sandeen Prize in Poetry is awarded to authors who have published at least one volume of poetry.
The Sullivan Prize in Short Fiction is awarded to authors who have published at least one volume of short fiction.
The Andrés Montoya Poetry Prize is bestowed by the Institute for Latino Studies at the University of Notre Dame. The submission guidelines and information about this prize can be found at the Institute’s site.
The Notre Dame Review Book Prize is a first volume prize, awarded to an author who has published fiction (or poetry) in the Notre Dame Review.
Exhibits Schedule/Meeting with an Editor
The Press regularly exhibits at scholarly conferences. We invite you to drop by our booth to meet the editors and see our titles. If you would like to make an appointment prior to a conference, dependent upon staff availability, please write to the Acquisitions email address listed above.