On February 24, 2021, at 7:00pm (EST), R. M. Kinder will read from A Common Person and Other Stories, winner of the Richard Sullivan Prize in Short Fiction sponsored by the Creative Writing Program in the Department of English at University of Notre Dame in conjunction with Notre Dame Press. The event is free and open to the public. Registration must take place in advance of the reading and can be completed here.
R. M. Kinder is the author of three prizewinning collections of short fiction, including A Near-Perfect Gift, winner of the University of Michigan Press Literary Fiction Award, and Sweet Angel Band and Other Stories, winner of Helicon Nine Editions’s Willa Cather Fiction Prize. She has also published two novels, An Absolute Gentleman and The Universe Playing Strings. Her prose has appeared in Passages North, Other Voices, North American Review, the New York Times, and elsewhere.
Fans of literary fiction and short stories will enjoy Kinder’s reading. When asked who would like the stories in this new book, Kinder says, “I hope the collection will engage readers who want to be entertained but not necessarily to be transported to a familiar, safe, or just pleasant place. Even more, I hope for readers who want to understand others, and to feel sympathy, empathy, and overall, good about their fellow humans.”
- Valerie Sayers, editor of The Richard Sullivan Prize in Short Fiction, interviewed Rose Marie Kinder here.
- Here is a print interview with Rose Marie Kinder.
- Read more about the book here.
ADDITIONAL VIRTUAL BOOK EVENTS WITH R. M. KINDER
- March 18 – 7:00 pm (CST), Panelist – with Ron Austin and Mary Troy, Missouri Bicentennial: Show Me Stories, Unbound Book Festival, Columbia, Missouri
- March 19 – 7:00 pm (CST), Reading – with Catherine Pierce and Walter Bargan, The Writers Place, Kansas City, Missouri
- April 1 – 7:00pm (CST), Book launch/Reading and Discussion, University of Central Missouri School of English and Philosophy and Pleiades.
- April 14 – 3:00pm (CST), Reading and Discussion, Rolla Public Library, Rolla, Missouri
- April 26 – 7:00pm (CST), Reading and Discussion, The Bridges Series, Paradise Valley Community College, Phoenix, Arizona
- August 3 – 6:00pm (PST), Whitney Book Bistro, Henderson, Nevada
For more information, contact: Kathryn Pitts, firstname.lastname@example.org, 574.631.3267
This piece was originally published at undpressnews.nd.edu.