Due to system upgrades, ebooks will not be available for direct purchase on our site. Thank you for your patience.

An Interview with Father “Monk” Malloy, Author of “Monk’s Notre Dame”

Rev. Edward “Monk” Malloy, C.S.C., completed his eighteenth and final year as president of the University of Notre Dame on July 1, 2005. He now serves as president emeritus. Father Malloy is a full professor of theology and has been a member of the faculty since 1974. As president emeritus, he continues to teach, conducting a seminar for first-year undergraduates each semester, and he makes his home in Sorin Hall, a student residence on campus. He recently answered our questions about Monk’s Notre Dame. The stories and anecdotes in this collection speak to the singularity of this university as a place full of rich traditions, strong faith, and authentic community. 

When did you first get the idea to write this book? 

The origin of this collection of stories and essays was my notion that I had a responsibility to share with others the many tales passed on to me. This book was a labor of love, and I hope my readers can share my pleasure in, once again, telling the stories of a place dear to us all.

Father Monk Malloy

How did you research this book?

I drew upon student-based activities and everything else that made up my Notre Dame experience from day-to-day and year-to-year. My research for the book was primarily based upon my own memory but also the shared experience of others. Occasionally I would check out the reliability of some account, but most of the time I was confident in my own memory and judgment.  

asdfasdf

What did you learn while writing Monk’s Notre Dame?

I learned from writing it how much I enjoy telling stories about Notre Dame.  As a frequent public speaker for Notre Dame settings, I know that people seem to always enjoy Notre Dame new stories or sharing old ones. I wrote this book primarily in my spare time either at the end of the day in my office or in my room in Sorin Hall.

In what way is the book you wrote different from the book you set out to write?

I think the book became somewhat different as I wrote it because of the way in which it got organized. There is a certain sensibleness about the way it finally got arranged. The stories could have been told in succession but I think the organizational structure helps the reader to see the transition from one type of story to another.

Who is the biggest influence on you and your work?

The biggest influence on me and my work is my love of Notre Dame, my long-term experience living, studying, teaching, mentoring, governing, and leading over the years. 

What advice would you give to a student who wants to start a book?

I think all of us have a fund of stories to tell so I encourage anyone to give it a try. Some will find that they really enjoy writing and finish the project. Others may simply move on to some other way of sharing stories.

Recent Posts

Archives

Categories